Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Daily Spotlight - Trace Broyles








Excerpt from Estelan:
Prologue

A shadowy figure slipped between the cracking, blistered tree trunks.  Its curses carried forth on the blustering wind forcing woodland creatures to flee.  The flora wilted where It paused to rest.  Ragged breaths caught when a branch cracked. 
 “My Lord, all is not lost.”  A cloaked figure stepped into a beam of moonlight and faced the shadow.  “There are still ways to win.”
The shadow spat, “What is left to win?  This world is worth nothing now, it will die too soon.”
“No, my Lord.  It will not die because of the girl’s sacrifice.  There are survivors and they will seek each other out to rebuild.  The power of the core is vast and will heal itself.  In time we can make it as it was, rejoin the halves, take the orbs for our own and harness the power of the core.”  The cloaked figure reached out to the shadow.  “I beg of you, allow me to move forward with my plan.  You can rest while we wait and when the time is right we shall raise an army to defeat the survivors.”
“Hide from those lesser?  Is that what you would have me do?”  The shadow hissed, its eyes burning red in the dark cloud. 
“No, my Lord, never.  I am but suggesting you rest and watch while I perform the menial tasks to simple for your greatness.”  The cloaked figure bowed respectfully to the shadow.
“A rest.  Yes.  Fair enough, servant.”  The shadow curled into itself until all that remained was a wisp of black smoke.  It rocketed through the air and into the cloaked figure’s hood. 

Twitter: @BooksbyViolet



1 comment:

  1. I love that cover. Really haunting. Nice excerpt too. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete